Published by rich on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 17:23:16
Hopefully they’ll forgive me for stealing (and butchering) their image. If you want to buy the shirt, you can do so here.
Yes it’s true, almost anyone in a position with slight IT authority, or l33T hacker prowess can easily read someone’s email.
They can watch it “go down the pipe” as SMTP is not a secure protocol. If they have (or can obtain) administrative rights, they can read it right off the server. There are also many other opportunities for the ethically unencumbered.
However, I think this a design that offers much more insightful social commentary:
This shirt is perfect for nearly everyone:
- Those who wish they never gave Mom their email address
- Executives who are a little too busy to care
- Helpdesk staff more interested in World of Warcraft
- Anyone who has a friend with Incredimail.
- As a gift to those who keep resending the same support request, without trying any previously suggested solutions - or if they did, not mentioning if they worked or not.
I’ve come to the slow, sad conclusion that just someone replies to your email, doesn’t mean they actually read it.